Tonight we read about how birds fly and learned some really interesting facts:
- Birds have hollow bones to keep them light
- Birds have very light bodies
- Eagles have a wingspan of about seven feet, yet weigh only around ten pounds
- Air sacs are linked to birds lungs to provide extra oxygen for them during flight
- The complex wings of birds allow air flow to be directed around the wings
Luke was certainly fascinated by all this and Isabel seemed interested as well. Luke was most astonished when I showed him how long seven feet is, in order to give him an idea of an eagle’s wingspan.